The key to creating the ultimate outdoor room is to decorate it like you would any other room in your home. Whilst this might seem like an unnecessary luxury, we tend to live outdoors for most of the year which makes this 'room' a worthy of investment. Here are our top 5 tips to help create the ultimate outdoor room.
1) Shade. Most homes come complete with a covered alfresco or patio area. Awnings and large outdoor umbrellas can help to provide additional shade where needed. Umbrellas can be moved easily providing shade to your favourite part of the garden. A beautiful tree will not only add value to your home, but the natural greenery helps to soften the space, connect you to nature and is the perfect place to picnic under. If you’re lucky enough to have the space (and budget) a pool house is the ultimate luxury, especially for Hampton’s style homes.
2) Comfortable Seating. A comfortable lounge or dining chair will entice you and your guests to relax and linger for longer. Outdoor fabrics are available in a wide selection of colours and patterns. Being fade and mould resistant they offer greater value of over time, so don't skip on these. Adding colourful cushions will add personality, texture and comfort to your lounge area.
3) Outdoor Rug. Rugs helps to define an area and can be a great way to add colour, pattern and texture to any space. A rug works well both indoors and outdoors to add a softer layer. Dhurries or sisal are our favourite picks for durable outdoor rugs.
4) Lighting can be a feature in an outdoor entertaining area. A beautiful iron chandelier over a dining area can create a wonderful dining experience. Lanterns with candles create a beautiful ambience at night and when used at different heights create a finished look. Fairy lights wrapped around the trunks of trees make for a magical evening.
5) Sound. Built in speakers are perfect for those who love to entertain and can really set the tone for a party. Consider a water feature to create a relaxing atmosphere. The sound of the water will feel instantly refreshing and help to cool things down on a hot day, even if you don't have a pool.
Our bonus tip is to add an outdoor fan. They've come a long way in design and there are some fantastic custom options available today. Something about a fan reminds us of exotic holidays by the beach. The gentle motion and sound calls you to relax and just enjoy being in the great outdoors.
Here's to a beautiful home! And a beautiful Summer!